Q. I wonder if there is such a thing as an upper level bar in a two-bar clothes closet that could be lowered for easy reach and then raised back up to normal for proper clothes hanging?
A. Yes! The product you’re seeking is called a Pull Down Closet Rod and it’s available in several sizes.
Thanksgiving is a time to be grateful for many things: loving family, loyal friends, delicious food….and, of course, wonderful recipe organizers and cookbook holders.
Keeping cherished recipes organized and easy to access can be a challenge. Thankfully, these innovative recipe organizers and space-saving cookbook holders make life easier year-round:
- The Dual-Motion Recipe Card Holder is more than just an organizer–it makes your recipes easy to look at while cooking. Designed to tilt up and down and also rotate so you can clearly see your recipes from any angle, the swiveling system allows you to keep a recipe facing you wherever you stand in the kitchen. The unit holds 40 standard 4×6″ recipe cards inside page protectors to keep them safe from spills and splatters, with divider tabs to help you easily organize your recipes.
- Recipe card binders are a simple way to organize recipes. You can also turn a regular 3-ring binder into a recipe card organizer by using recipe card sheet protectors.
- The spring-loaded Under Cabinet Cookbook Holder makes it easy to instantly access a cookbook when and where you need it, then stores it out of the way under a cabinet when you’re done.
- The collapsible Bamboo and Acrylic Cookbook Holder is a countertop cookbook stand that features a clear acrylic screen to keep recipes splatter-free. The foldaway design lets you store it flat on a shelf or in a drawer when not in use.
Other types of cookbook stands and recipe holders can be found here.
Ever dreamed of having your own private island? For most of us, a rolling kitchen island is probably the closest we’ll ever come to attaining that dream. But that’s OK because these handy kitchen carts are so much more useful than swaying palm trees.
The best mobile kitchen islands provide a variety of storage areas (drawers, cabinets and open shelves) along with a comfortable work surface.
Here are three types of kitchen island carts that can help you make the most of your kitchen space:
- The versatile Butcher Block Rolling Kitchen & BBQ Workstation is designed to be used anywhere you need both food prep and storage areas. It features a butcher block counter, a chopping station with a refuse portal that leads into a bowl for kitchen waste, a cabinet with a garbage bag holder, and a towel bar, plus two shelves and drawers.
- The Shuttered Kitchen Island Cart includes two ventilated cabinets, a drawer, an open shelf, a flip-top compartment and a towel rod, all set atop industrial-grade casters.
- The compact Kitchen Cube Cart can fit in anywhere but the smallest kitchen–its footprint is a mere 17 x 17 inches. Although lacking closed storage (no drawer or cabinet), it does offer an exceptional amount of open shelf space: six side shelves–three on each side– with retainer rods for securely storing bottles, jars and cans; plus two adjustable central shelves for larger items such as bowls, dishes and pots.
More kitchen carts can be found here.
Keeping your hair looking good doesn’t mean your bathroom counter has to look bad. But when your hair-styling arsenal includes a blow dryer, curling iron, flat iron, brushes, combs and all types of hair care products, an uncluttered vanity may seem like an unattainable dream.
Luckily there are now a number of excellent hair styling storage solutions available. Whether you prefer a counter-top organizer, a wall-mountable unit, or one that hangs on a towel rack or inside a cabinet door, here are three different well-designed options–all of which allow you to safely store hot appliances:
- The wall-mounted Hair Care Organizer is a mirrored cabinet designed to keep all your hair care appliances (up to four) and supplies organized, easily accessible yet hidden away. It features a built-in power source that lets you keep your appliances plugged in and allows you to turn them on/off with the switch of a button (also usable for cell phone chargers and other devices); a patented cord management system; an adjustable shelf for storing hair care products; and dual mirrors (one on each side of the door), plus a magnifying makeup mirror.
- The versatile Hair Styling Station provides storage for a variety of styling tools and it can be hung from a towel rack, kept on a counter or inside a cabinet. It includes a back pocket for storing electric cords or hair brushes. The main compartment is undivided; if you’d like something similar but with separate compartments for each appliance, consider the Hair Care Caddy.
- The Hair Tool Organizer is a counter-top organizer offering three metal-lined sections for storing hot blow-driers, flat irons and curling irons; two open bins for hair styling products; and a bottom drawer that provides concealed storage for combs, clips, hair scrunchies and other small items. The space-saving footprint (12 inches wide x 9 inches high x 8.5 inches deep) helps keep your counter clutter-free.
You can find more hair styling storage solutions here.
Candy is dandy–especially the day after Halloween when you can get all you want at half price. And if you have a sweet tooth, it’s almost impossible to resist the lure of all those bargain bags of “fun size” candy bars, hard candies, chewy goodies and other sweet treats.
Unfortunately this type of indulgence can lead to a serious condition known as C.C.: Candy Clutter. Unless you have good storage systems for keeping your candy inventory fresh and organized, those candies can create chaos (until they get eaten up, of course). So here are three types of candy containers that can help you keep the spirit of Halloween alive year-round:
- The OXO Good Grips Snack Jar is a clever update of the classic candy jar. A specially designed pop-top lid features an airtight seal to keep everything fresher longer; the lid opens easily with the touch of the center button, which pops up to become an easy-to-grab handle. It holds up to 5 quarts of candies or other snacks; also available in 2-quart and 3-quart sizes.
- The Dog Treat Container is ideal for candy storage–it’s see-through and stackable with an air-tight, easy open flip-up lid.
- The Double Food Dispensing Canister, designed to keep sweets and other edibles fresh for up to 45 days, makes it easy (and fun) to access two kinds of candy side by side. It’s also available in three different colors.
Variety is the spice of life, as the saying goes. But once you’ve accumulated a variety of spices, keeping them organized can become a challenge–especially when your spice space is limited.
Here are three different types of space-saving spice storage solutions designed to help you store the maximum number of spices in a minimum amount of space:
Q. Where can I buy a cover for my clothes rack? Dimensions: single pole 56 inches long – 68 inches tall (from top to bottom) – 24 inches deep (wheel to wheel base). I need a cover with easy access and brown or clear in color ( solid material or clear material). Thanks for your help!
A. This clear Garment Rack Cover could work–it can be used with a rack measuring 67 inches tall by 63 inches wide by 23 inches deep. The actual dimensions are 72″H x 64″W x 24″D.
Feeling unhinged by a lack of storage space? Maybe it’s time to put your door hinges to work as hosts to hideaway storage solutions.
Hinge-mounted cabinets and racks offer a way to utilize wasted space while providing easy access to frequently used items. Here are three types of space-saving and innovative door hinge storage systems:
- Cabidor’s Portable Storage Closet gives you a sleek place to store toiletries, cleaning supplies, packaged foods or other items you’d like to keep handy yet out of the way. It provides eight 4-inch-deep shelves (six adjustable and two fixed) in a portable cabinet designed to hang off any door hinge. No tools are required for installation but there must be at least 3 1/2 inches from the center of your hinge pin to the side wall when installing to a corner.
Another version is the Hinge Mounted Mirrored Cabinet which includes a full length mirror on the exterior.
- The Hinge Mounted Mirrored Jewelry Cabinet is also portable and easily mounted with no extra tools required. It features two mirrors–a long one outside plus a wide one inside–and a velvet-lined interior with 24 necklace hooks, 12 bracelet hooks, 85 earring slots, 25 ring slots and one keepsake drawer.
- The Hinge-It Clutter Buster Door Towel Rack helps keep towels and clothes off the floor by offering easy-to-reach storage in your bathroom, bedroom or laundry room. Four arms that can be rotated individually add approximately 6 feet of hanging space behind any door. Easy to install (no drilling), and it also works well for air-drying damp or wet items–not just towels but laundry, swimsuits, wetsuits, etc.
Q. I’m attempting to get my wife and I more organized and could really use your help. Below are the dimensions of 7 drawers in our bathroom I would like to order acrylic inserts for. Any assistance you can provide in letting use know which of your products best match up dimensionally to the space in the drawers is greatly appreciated!
Left/right Front/back Deep
1ea – 23 1/8 x 16 5/8 x 2 2/8
2ea. 12 1/2. X. 17. X. 3 1/4
2ea. 12 5/8. X. 16 1/2. X. 5 1/4
2ea. 14 1/4. X. 16 1/2. X. 5 1/4
A. There are three types of acrylic (clear) drawer organizers I’m recommending because each offers a different way to customize the number of sections or the size:
- Clear Drawer Bins are modular and come in four different sizes: 4 x 16 x 3 inches; 4 x 12 x 3 inches; 4 x 8 x 3 inches; and 4 x 4 x 3 inches.
- The 12 Section Acrylic Drawer Organizer (9.5 x 6.5 x 1.38 inches high) features 12 storage compartments with eight removable dividers.
- The Acrylic Expandable Drawer Organizer expands to fit in drawer spaces measuring 11 to 18-1/2 inches wide. Designed to hang across a drawer, it has square rails to fit on drawer side frames measuring up to 1/2 inch thick so it can slide for easy access to the items below, which are easily visible because it’s clear.
“Hell freezes over”–could that be a caption for your disorganized freezer? Not only for the contents but for when you plan to organize it?
If so, you’re not alone. It’s common for freezers to become frosty caverns of clutter, clogged with mystery meats, forgotten leftovers, fuzzy ice cube trays and all manner of frozen foods.
But freezer organization isn’t difficult when you have the right tools. Here are four types of organizing products that make it easy to get your freezer organized and keep it uncluttered:
- Freezers rarely have enough shelves (which is why foods often get piled), so it’s wise to utilize shelving options such as the Refrigerator Organizer, which features three adjustable shelves that allow you to store up to four items or containers of varying sizes.
- To neatly corral all types of frozen packaged foods yet keep them easily visible, clear stacking Refrigerator Bins come in a variety of sizes and shapes.
- Pull-out Cabinet Baskets let you access foods that would normally get lost in the far reaches of your freezer. Sized for smaller items, they require no installation.
- The Erasable Food Storage Container Labels kit includes 70 reusable food container labels that are microwave-, freezer- and dishwasher-safe and feature a smooth laminated surface which allows you to erase and reuse them over and over. Also included are one ultra-fine marker and one permanent ink eraser.