A messy makeup drawer isn’t a pretty sight. And facing a disorganized jumble of beauty supplies each morning makes it hard to start the day with a smile.
But luckily it’s not hard to conquer cosmetics clutter, thanks to well-designed makeup drawer organizers. Here are three effective and affordable examples that can also be used to organize other drawers around your home:
- The natural wood Expandable Cosmetic Drawer Organizer expands from 9 inches to 16 inches deep, then locks in place once you have it at the width you want. Six compartments in varying sizes accommodate most types of cosmetics and make it easy to maintain an orderly makeup drawer.
- Clear stackable drawer organizers such as the Cosmetic Organizing Tray let you utilize every vertical inch of drawer space.
- Another drawer-space maximizer is the Drawer Doubler, an eight-compartment organizer designed to fit over the top of most drawers without hindering drawer closure. Adjustable to fit most drawers (11.25 inches to 16.25 inches), the smooth plastic edges glide atop the drawer sides, allowing you to easily access the contents below. Since the top-to-bottom depth is just under 1 inch, it won’t hold cosmetics in bottles or jars but works well for storing everything else–from eye shadow pans to lipstick tubes.
Are your closets still stuffed with cool-weather clothes and blankets? Procrastinators, take heart–it’s not too late to store out-of-season items. (Just be sure to launder or dry-clean all fabric materials before storing even if they look clean.)
The trick is to use containers that will keep out moisture and bugs, yet will be easy for you to access the contents. Here are three types of super seasonal storage solutions:
- The Jumbo Zipper Storage Bag is ample enough to accommodate large items such as an over-sized comforter or even a sleeping bag. Constructed of water-resistant heavy-duty woven polyethylene tarp, it’s a spacious 26 inches high by 22 inches wide by 12 inches deep and has four handles (one on each side) for comfortable carrying. A label pocket lets you easily note the contents.
- Stackable plastic storage boxes are ideal for storing out-of-season blankets, flannel sheets and bulky clothing. They come in a variety of sizes and configurations.
- Covered garment racks work well for storing out-of-season clothes that you prefer to keep on hangers. For bug-safe storage of garments made of natural fibers such as wool and silk, Cedarstow Hanging Wardrobes provide extra protection–the freestanding units feature interlocking cedar panels on the sides, and also include side hooks so they can be hung from a closet rod.
Other types of cedar clothing storage helpers can be found here.
Got craft clutter? If you’re a crafter, the answer is probably “yes!” Whether your favorite creative activities include beads, fabrics, yarn, paint, glue, paper, pens, glitter, thread or all of the above, you’re dealing with crafts supplies that can easily get out of hand (literally).
Fortunately there’s a wide variety of arts & crafts organizers specifically designed for the many different types of crafting materials. Consider these three that are perfect for keeping all kinds of bits and pieces in place:
- Artbins are divided containers made for organizing and storing sewing, knitting, scrapbooking, beading and other craft supplies. (Constructed of acid-free polypropylene, they’re safe for storing art supplies too.) One example is the Artbin Super Satchel which comes in two different models with fixed and stationary compartments. Easy to carry, with snap closures and convenient handles that fold neatly into a recess when not in use, the design is also easily stackable for storage.
- The Bead Storage Bag and Containers is a portable storage system consisting of a nylon carrying case that holds five removable and stackable clear plastic 10-1/2-inch long containers, each with 17 compartments (a total of 85 compartments). The carrying case itself is a storage center, with five Velcro-closure pockets for storing jewelry-making tools; a sewn-on heavy-duty handle is on top, and the bag also includes a removable shoulder strap .
- For storing larger arts & crafts materials, the Kids Art Supply Organizer is a terrific storage solution–just don’t be put off by the name. This clever cart isn’t just for kids: it’s a rolling organizer that’s ideal for serious crafters and artists of all ages. The blue metal frame has three shelves with three large bins and four medium bins (all included and removable), along with eight side pockets for holding small supplies. Locking casters make the cart easy to roll anywhere and then keep it safely in place.
More arts & crafts organizers can be found here.
Sports are fun, but storing sporting gear? Not so much.
It can be a challenge to keep sports stuff organized and easily accessible yet out of the way. Since sports equipment varies widely–from footballs to fishing poles–you may need specialized types of storage for yours.
Here are three efficient examples of sporting gear storage solutions:
- Soccer balls, footballs, volleyballs, basketballs….for storing all of these and more, the wall-mounted Ball Storage Rack helps you to literally have a ball. It’s designed to neatly store, organize and display up to seven full-size sports balls of almost any shape and size. The rack is also versatile–it can be set up vertically (as shown) to fit on a narrow wall, or reconfigured into three horizontal sections.
- The heavy-duty rolling Storage Rack with Baskets features three pull-out baskets of different sizes that work well for storing a variety of sporting gear. Two top shelves provide additional storage space.
- For long or flat types of sporting gear such as skis, fishing poles, wakeboards and snowboards, the ceiling-mounted Garage Sports Organizer is ideal–and a real space-saver. When you pull it downwards, it locks into place so you can easily remove and replace items as needed, and then it smoothly auto-retracts back up to the ceiling. The system has a 50-pound capacity and holds up to eight fishing poles or other combinations of sports gear.
Q. I have 3 rolling pins that I use often and I would like to store them on the kitchen counter top for easy access. The rolling pins do not come with a rolling pin stand or storage. Do you have any suggestions?
A. An open-ended bookend wine bottle rack designed to hold three bottles can be used to store rolling pins on a kitchen counter. If you have very limited counter space, an upright three-bottle wine rack is a space-saver.
Depending on the size of your rolling pins, an upright utensil holder could also work.
Smartphones, tablets, e-readers, laptops…do you love them but hate the clutter they cause? Actually, the main chaos culprits are the messy cords and wires needed to charge all these supposedly wireless devices.
But you don’t have to suffer from cord clutter, thanks to a relatively new category of organizing solutions known as charging stations. Designed to hold a variety of electronic devices while hiding their associated cords, charging stations are now available in a variety of styles. Here are three attractive and effective versions of these streamlined electronic device organizers:
- The clear Acrylic Charging Station features a back compartment sized to accommodate a large tablet, e-reader or iPad, plus three smaller compartments in front for storing and charging phones and other electronic devices (or for keeping supplies handy). Notches on the sides let you run power cords through so you can charge your devices as they rest in the stand.
The Bamboo Charging Station
allows you to charge up to four devices, and also includes a spacious section in back for storing accessories.
- The Charging Station for Electronics is a sleek black rectangle with three slots at the top to allow you to keep cords organized as they power your electronic devices. The top lifts off to reveal a hidden compartment that provides storage for a power strip/surge protector, with a side slot for the cord.
Other types of electronic device organizers can be found here.
Like to bike–but hate to put it away? Storing your bicycle inside shouldn’t be a hassle. Whether you have one bike or four, there are a number of bicycle storage solutions to choose from. Gravity stands, wall-mounted racks and ceiling-mounted hoist systems are among the most popular.
Here are three examples of efficient and easy-to-use indoor bike storage systems:
- If you only need to store one bicycle, the wall-mounted Bike Rack and Basket is a good choice–it lets you hang up a bike of any size while also providing storage for your bike accessories. The unit consists of two hooks for holding one bicycle; a steel basket for stashing your helmet, shoes and water bottle; and two accessory hooks for hanging additional biking necessities.
- For the two-bike household, the Gravity Double Standing Bike Rack takes up only 19 inches of space from the wall and requires no installation (ideal for apartment dwellers). Braced on the floor with a coated pedestal foot, the rack leans against the wall and safely suspends two bikes (one above the other) with vinyl-coated arms that are independently adjustable to accommodate any size or style of bike frame.
- Storing four bikes is a cinch with the ceiling-mounted 4 Hook Bike Storage System–you just press a button to lower or raise the 60-inch loading bar that can hold up to 125 pounds on four sliding hooks. This motorized hoist system lets you easily lift your bikes overhead and out of the way to free up floor space. (Ceiling needs to be a minimum of 8 feet high, maximum 15 feet high.)
More bicycle storage solutions can be found here.
Q. What is the best way to store tie clips to keep them organized and looking good?
A. Jewelry trays work well for keeping tie clips organized & protected. They are available in different sizes with a variety of compartments; some are stackable and have clear plastic removable lids. Choosing an organizer that works well for you will depend on how many tie clips you have & whether you prefer to keep them in a drawer or on a counter-top.
Board games are such fun…right up until it’s time to put them away. Corralling all those pesky little game pieces and cards–not to mention the boards themselves–can take the fun out of game night.
Whether your game collection consists of crumbling cardboard containers housing your heirloom Monopoly, Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit games, or you’ve got mainly display-worthy game boxes, there are several simple solutions for keeping your board games in order. Here are three types of handy and helpful board game organizers:
- When it’s time to replace those old cardboard game boxes, sturdy plastic Game Savers storage containers are a good choice. Specifically designed to hold board games such as Monopoly, Life and games of similar size and contents, these organizers feature dividers to keep the game pieces organized, pre-printed game labels, and a snap lid (especially useful when traveling or camping). They fit game boards up to 15.75 x 10.5 x .5 inches, the size of a single folded rectangular board.
- You can “file” smaller game boxes by storing them upright in a cabinet, using a wire bakeware rack to keep them neatly separated and easy to access.
- If you prefer to stack your games, the Black A-Frame Shelf features three shelves sized for storing and displaying many types of boxed board games (each shelf is 30 x 15 inches). You can stack up to five game boxes on each shelf.
Whether you have a tiny patio or a large backyard, outdoor dining requires special storage solutions. (Unless, of course, you don’t mind making extra trips back inside to retrieve plates, napkins, utensils, condiments, etc.)
To simplify outdoor meal preparation, choose mobile or portable organizers constructed of weather-resistant materials. Here are three efficient patio dining and BBQ storage solutions for organizing your al fresco meal supplies:
- The Mobile Serving Station Patio Cabinet provides two handy cabinets topped by an expandable surface for preparing and serving food (two drop-leaf sections extend the surface to 40 inches of counter space). A divided serving tray is included, designed to fit inside the upper cabinet. The cabinets offer ample storage for grilling implements and accessories, napkins, condiments and more, and the entire unit rolls smoothly on heavy-duty casters (two locking and two non-locking) for easy portability.
- The multipurpose Grill Station features separate trays for raw and cooked foods and includes a separate caddy for keeping seasonings, tongs and a beverage handy.
- Charcoal storage containers are a necessity for those who prefer barbecues to gas grills. The Charcoal Storage Bin (12-lb capacity) has an innovative lid designed to fit inside the original bag of charcoal: you simply cut the top off the bag and insert the lid to provide a tight seal that protects against moisture. The lid also has a flip top that lets you neatly dispense charcoal, and the large carrying handle on the side makes the bin easy to transport. If you need a larger capacity bin, the Charcoal Storage Container holds up to 24 lbs.