If you’ve got a garden, you’ve probably experienced hose clutter. Unruly garden hoses have a way of creating chaos–not only do they look messy, they’re potentially hazardous (as anyone who has ever tripped over a hose tangle can attest).
Luckily there are several helpful hose clutter remedies to choose from. Here are three types of garden hose organizers that provide convenient and safe storage:
- Hose reel systems allow you to easily retract your hose, tangle-free–and then keep it neatly hidden away and protected from the elements when not in use. The Hose Reel Hideaway has two special features: an Easylink system which ensures a water-tight connection between your hose and the reel; and a Smart Trak hose guide that tracks the hose neatly onto the reel. A more deluxe hose reel system is the Hydro Power Auto Rewind Hose Reel, a water-powered automatic hose reel that rewinds your hose hands-free with the flip of a lever.
- Hose pots such as the Garden Hose Storage Pot are more decorative but less user-friendly than hose reels. Designed to look like wide planter pots with a side opening for the hose to come through, they require you to manually coil the hose inside the pot.
- Wall-mounted hose holders such as the Filigree Garden Hose Holder also require the effort of manual hose coiling but take up the least amount of space, and are the most economical option. Hose holders are available in a variety of styles.
Q. I’ve been searching for a covered flatware organizer and can’t find one anywhere. I don’t have kitchen drawers to put an organizer in (I live in an odd, efficiency apartment), and right now I just have an open flatware holder on a kitchen island. I think I’d be less likely to just throw the utensils in there if I had a lid, and they’d stay cleaner. Any suggestions?
A. I was able to find a covered cutlery organizer but I’m not sure how well it would work for your situation–having to remove and replace the lid each time you use it seems like a nuisance. You might want to consider a creative alternative such as keeping a flatware drawer organizer inside a flip-open container–this breadbox is one example.
Rolling storage drawers are one of the easiest ways to create instant accessible storage. These mobile carts–available in a variety of drawer sizes and configurations–are especially useful for organizing everything from clothing, linens, accessories and toys to all types of supplies: office supplies, paper goods, non-perishable food….whatever you want to keep handy yet out of the way.
Here are some of my favorite types of rolling storage drawers:
- The Wide Three-Drawer Storage Chest rolls anywhere you need it and offers three spacious drawers (19 1/4 inches wide x 6 1/4 inches high x 14 inches deep) constructed of clear, acid-free plastic to allow for quick identification of contents such as art and scrapbook supplies in the craft room; paper and office supplies at work; clothing and linens in a closet; or tools and parts in the garage. Each drawer can be removed from the frame for easy loading and unloading. The four casters are also removable.
- For storing smaller or fewer items, the slim (12.8 inches wide), clear Plastic Storage Chest with 4 Drawers includes two shallow drawers (each 3 inches high) atop two deeper drawers (each 7 inches high). The entire unit is topped with a divided organizer that provides conveniently accessible storage for frequently used supplies. Four casters offer mobility or can be removed for a stationary storage solution.
- If you prefer opaque drawers, the sleek Three Drawer Mobile Storage cart features three black polyester drawers with metal grommets and reinforced bottoms; a top shelf cradled by chrome handles; and heavy-duty locking casters.
More rolling storage drawer options can be found here.
Want to get a handle on your Spring cleaning? Long-handled cleaning tools (mops, brooms, Swiffers, dusters) are necessities–but all too often they’re stuffed in a closet corner or in the gap alongside the fridge.
The right storage system will make all your cleaning implements and supplies handy to grab and easy to put away. You can keep everything accessible and organized year-round with these space-saving mop and broom storage solutions:
If you think your kitchen is too small, imagine RV living.
Any type of tiny kitchen needs to be efficient, utilizing every inch of space. RVers know how to do this better than anybody (except boat-dwellers). That’s why many small kitchens can benefit from using certain kinds of space-saving RV Accessories.
Spaces that are often forgotten in larger kitchens must be put to good use in smaller kitchens. Here are several different RV kitchen organizers designed to maximize even the smallest kitchen:
- When there’s no floor space for a trash can or even a wastebasket, instead of “thinking outside the box” you’ve got to think inside the cabinet. A good example is the Axis Chrome Over the Cabinet Door Wastebasket which holds 4-gallon trash bags and requires no installation–it fits neatly on cabinet doors measuring up to 3/4-inch thick. It can also function as a plastic bag recycler, kitchen wrap organizer or deep all-purpose storage basket. The over-door hooks are lined with soft foam rubber to protect cabinet surfaces.
- If your drawer space is limited, you can store kitchen knives and utensils on the Magnetic Knife Holder–it’s designed to be mounted on a wall or inside a cabinet door. Available in both 10-inch and 18.5-inch models, it features a stainless steel frame with two inset magnetic strips that are strong enough to securely hold knives and other metal cooking implements.
- With cabinet space at a premium, don’t overlook the area directly underneath cupboards and over counters–that’s where you can attach dispensers for frequently used supplies such as paper towels, paper napkins, paper plates and disposable bowls. (The Paper Plate Dispenser also can hold plastic or foam plates.)
And if you wish to keep a box of Kleenex in the kitchen but lack counter space, the clear plastic Wall Mounted Tissue Box Holder is a handy solution.
If you want to wake up and smell the coffee, first you need to store it properly. But with so many varieties currently available–and contributing to coffee clutter–this can be quite a challenge.
Fortunately there are now a number of coffee storage solutions to choose from. Here are three different kinds of coffee organizers that will help you keep your coffee supplies fresh and easily accessible:
- Single-serve coffee containers create a particular storage challenge, but there are several different coffee pod organizers designed to accommodate single-serve containers. The cylindrical mesh Coffee Pod Holder is a good example–it features four swing-out compartments that can hold up to a total of 28 coffee pods, designed to fit all different pod sizes and shapes; and inserts with indentations for holding the pods (removable if you want to store other accessories). The unit is topped with a circular faux-bamboo shelf that’s handy for holding mugs, sweeteners and other essentials.
- For safely storing up to 1 pound of freshly ground coffee or whole beans, the Coffee Canister with Scoop is a simple solution. Made of a clear plastic with a UV-blocking tint that keeps light out to preserve freshness, the 1.5-quart capacity canister includes a latching lid with a silicone lip that creates a tight, suctioned seal, and a one-tablespoon scoop that neatly stores inside the lid.
- If bagged coffee is your preference, the Bag-In Coffee Storage Container and Dispenser is designed to hold a 10- to 14-ounce bag of coffee beans or grounds, and features an innovative bag gripper design, a lid with an
an airtight seal and pouring spout for clean dispensing, and a 2-tablespoon scoop. The unique bag gripper lid fits inside your original coffee bag for clean pouring every time. This bag-in storage design helps keep the container clean and coffee fresher longer.
Q. I’m in charge of cell phones/accessories at work. So much clutter…I need to find a storage unit that will hold a cell phone, car charger, wall charger and the little booklets that come with it. I have approx 10 phones and would like to keep them in a locked file cabinet. Any ideas?
A. I think this rolling Low Profile Locking File Cabinet would work well for the situation you’ve described. The two shallow drawers are the perfect size for storing cell phones, chargers and other small items, and you can use the file drawer for larger items or for filing sensitive documents.
Stressed out by shower clutter? It’s a common problem. Shampoo and conditioner bottles, soaps, bath brushes, loofahs and other bathing paraphernalia have a tendency to accumulate in shower nooks and crannies.
Keeping your shower clutter-free is easier when you have the right storage solutions. Here are four varieties of space-maximizing shower organizers that require no installation:
Q. I bought a container of Hagerty Jewelry Care Wipes at a yard sale but discovered the stack of wipes are dried out. Is there any way to make the wipes usable again?
A. Normally I only answer questions relating to organizing & storage solutions, but I wanted you to know that Hagerty Jewelry Care Wipes are actually supposed to be dry. Organize-It also carries the Hagerty Silver Care & Storage Kit which makes it easy to safely store silver jewelry and keep it untarnished.
Want to keep your hand tools handy? Try thinking outside the toolbox and consider storage options designed for easy access.
Here are three different types of accessible and space-saving hand tool storage solutions:
- The Step Stool Tool Box offers portable tool storage inside a sturdy stepstool: the top flips up to reveal a lift-out tray with compartments for organizing small tools, nails, screws, etc.; underneath the tray is a larger area for storing hammers and other hand tools. A flip-down handle in the lid makes the unit easy to transport.
- For frequently used tools in your garage or workshop, the Wall Mount Tool Rack has 96 slots of varying sizes for individual storage of many types of hand tools (everything but hammers)–which means the tools you use most can be kept easily accessible.
- The Tool Tote features an open top with deep compartments and a large carrying handle; side slots for vertical storage of screwdrivers and handled tools; and a partitioned, dual-access bottom drawer for screws and other small hardware items.
More tool storage options can be found here.