Heading off to college for the first time, or back to college after a summer spent at home in your very own room, can be a real shocker in terms in privacy! All of a sudden there is someone there, in your room with you, for most of your waking (and sleeping) hours. Room dividers are a great way to add a little privacy to your college experience. They may not keep out the noise of click clacking on the keyboard or long nights of snoring (by the way a fan works wonders to block out that particular problem), but they offer a sense of privacy when there is otherwise none to be found.
Here are some great reasons to invest in a room divider if you are going into your first (or second or third) year of college. (Note: Check with your dorm’s rules on furnishings first to ensure you can use it when you get there.)
- Privacy – I’ve already covered this above, but a room screen allows you to get dressed in peace, sleep in peace, and most importantly, study in peace.
- Fun Style – There are so many different room dividers these days in every imaginable style, have fun with it – from modern metal for the guys to fun colors for the girls, there is something for everyone and every age.
- Longevity – A room screen purchased now can be used for many years in a variety of different shared living settings, and even once you are off onto your own place someday.
- Space Efficiency – Look for a folding room screen (which most do), this allows it to be stored in the closet or behind a door, and makes it a cinch to move (which you will be doing frequently over the years.) A special word of caution here, though, rice paper screens are beautiful but require extra care and packaging when moving, as the paper can tear and is subject to water damage.
- And, finally, storage! Yep, there are room dividers out there, like the 6 ft. Tall Pockets Shoji Screen 3-Panel Room Divider shown here that have built in storage for all of your personal items!