If you’re like me, you’ve got guests coming and going all throughout the holidays! And if you are like me, you also have a pretty small house. All of the bedrooms are taken by my family of five, so for some of our guests, the living room becomes the makeshift guest room. If this is the case in your home, a room divider can be used simply to give your guests a little bit of privacy while they are asleep out in common areas of the home. Here are some tips to set up your guest “room” with a room divider.
1. Choose a lightweight one if your guests are sleeping on the floor. You don’t want a heavy room divider to fall on them in their sleep!
2. Choose one with a heavier material or darker fabric. This will help to block out as much light as possible, allowing your guests to sleep in a little bit as they would do at home.
3. Choose one with storage. A room divider with pockets gives them a place to stash their wallet, keys, electronics and more.
4. Make one! If you don’t have one, hang a sheet or blanket to give the space some closed off privacy.
5. Best of all, you can fold it up and put it away, along with their temporary bed, during the day. So your home remains cozy and tidy for holiday celebrating!
6. And when the guests go home for the season, you can either use it as beautiful decor in your home or you can fold and stash it in a closet until next November!
What do you do extra special to keep your guests comfortable during their holiday stays with you?
Shown: Toronto Folding Screen
With just two weeks to go until Christmas, you may be thinking, what can I do with my room divider to make it more “Christmassy”? Even if you’re not, you likely have a room divider in your living room or bedroom so why not take the opportunity to decorate it with some Holiday Cheer! Here are some ideas to get you started:
1. Paint it! If your room divider frame is pine wood with no finish, why not paint it a luscious red? This adds a Christmas feel to your home during the holidays, and the rest of the year serves as a modern touch. Just be sure to carefully tape off and don’t bother painting the inner frame, you are likely to damage the rice paper screen insert and leaving it unfinished gives a fun, 3-D look.
2. Hang Garlands from it – A beautiful faux or natural greenery garland strung from the top of a room divider is a lovely way to enhance the holiday decor in your home on a budget. For a more modern look, try hanging beads, normally reserved for the tree, draped along the top of the room screen.
3. Lights! Lights! Lights! Christmas lights look beautiful draped along the top, framing the entire room divider, or even lighting from behind. Be sure to keep lights away from flammable papers for a safe and festive look.
4. Christmas Card Display – Use your room screen as a folding backdrop for all of your beautiful incoming Christmas Cards! Use small tacks at the top of the frame and invisible string or fishing line to hang cards at varying heights throughout the face of the screen.
This look is great to spread throughout the home, whether you keep your room divider out in the open for friends and family to see or as a personal touch in the master bedroom.