Earrings have been around for thousands of years (since the Bronze Age, according to this history of earrings). Earring organizers haven’t–but that’s probably because they weren’t needed until relatively recently.
Nowadays there’s an overwhelming number of earring options: Pierced, clip-on, magnetic; studs, hoops, drops, chandeliers, “huggies,” cuffs…and those are just some of the basics.
Since earrings are small and relatively easy to accumulate, it’s easy to end up with a cluttered collection. Fortunately it’s also relatively easy to keep them in a semblance of order, thanks to the variety of earring organizers. There are three main types to consider: 1) for vanities or dresser tops; 2) for drawers; and 3) hanging (usually mounted on walls or doors). Here are a few examples of efficient and effective earring storage solutions:
- The clear acrylic Earring Organizer is designed for dust-free earring storage and display. It holds up to 18 pairs of earrings on three separate tiers inside a compact unit that fits easily on your dresser or vanity. A hinged flip-up door keeps dust out and a small drawer at the bottom provides storage for other pieces of jewelry.
- The 36 Compartment Stax Jewelry Tray is constructed from flock-covered acrylic and can be stored either inside a drawer or on a dresser top. Individual compartments keep up to 36 pairs of earrings safely separated. It includes a clear plastic dust cover and features a sliding channel that enables additional Stax organizers to be stacked on top.
- Tom’s Earring Holders are hand-crafted wooden earring racks that range in capacity from 15-30 pairs of earrings to 84-168 pairs. Each rack can hold studs and wire-type earrings as well as most other types, and the slots can be used for either without the need to remove backings.
- The Folding Acrylic Earring and Necklace Holder Screen offers storage for up to 180 pairs of earrings and eight necklaces, all on a clear acrylic four-panel screen that displays your jewelry pieces and then folds up flat for storage or travel. The outer panels also have four hooks each to hold up to eight necklaces or bracelets.
For more jewelry organizing ideas, read my post on jewelry organizers.
Whether you have just a few strings of pearls or a vast collection of neck jewelry, necklace organizers can make life easier.
Different types of necklaces require special storage. For example, chain necklaces ideally should be hung to keep them from getting knotted and tangled. Necklaces made of pearls, gems or beads can also be hung but ideally should be stored in a scratch-free environment such as a velvet-lined jewelry tray.
There are many types of necklace organizers to choose from. Here are three of my favorites:
- If you’d like to have your necklaces on display but also want to keep them dust-free, the Hanging Necklace Holder is your best bet. It features a removable lid with an easy-grip knob that attaches to 12 necklace hooks, providing quick access to the contents. Constructed of clear acrylic so you can view your necklaces from all sides, it keeps them safe from tangles and dust while looking great on your dresser or vanity.
- If dust isn’t a concern, the Spinning Jewelry Stand is a good bet. Five separate holders (each designed to hold four necklaces) are of varying heights to provide ample hanging room for different necklace lengths. The base can spin 360 degrees in either direction to allow for easy access to each necklace, and the raised lip provides additional storage for other jewelry items such as rings or watches.
- If you prefer to keep your necklaces in a drawer, the Neatnix Jewelry Stax Necklace Holder is ideal. The stackable and sliding design works with other Neatnix Jewelry Stax, and includes a flocked plastic insert with a faux velvet lining and seven long divided compartments designed to hold necklaces or bracelets. A protective clear plastic lid is also available.
More types of necklace organizers can be found here.
Got craft clutter? If you’re a crafter, the answer is probably “yes!” Whether your favorite creative activities include beads, fabrics, yarn, paint, glue, paper, pens, glitter, thread or all of the above, you’re dealing with crafts supplies that can easily get out of hand (literally).
Fortunately there’s a wide variety of arts & crafts organizers specifically designed for the many different types of crafting materials. Consider these three that are perfect for keeping all kinds of bits and pieces in place:
- Artbins are divided containers made for organizing and storing sewing, knitting, scrapbooking, beading and other craft supplies. (Constructed of acid-free polypropylene, they’re safe for storing art supplies too.) One example is the Artbin Super Satchel which comes in two different models with fixed and stationary compartments. Easy to carry, with snap closures and convenient handles that fold neatly into a recess when not in use, the design is also easily stackable for storage.
- The Bead Storage Bag and Containers is a portable storage system consisting of a nylon carrying case that holds five removable and stackable clear plastic 10-1/2-inch long containers, each with 17 compartments (a total of 85 compartments). The carrying case itself is a storage center, with five Velcro-closure pockets for storing jewelry-making tools; a sewn-on heavy-duty handle is on top, and the bag also includes a removable shoulder strap .
- For storing larger arts & crafts materials, the Kids Art Supply Organizer is a terrific storage solution–just don’t be put off by the name. This clever cart isn’t just for kids: it’s a rolling organizer that’s ideal for serious crafters and artists of all ages. The blue metal frame has three shelves with three large bins and four medium bins (all included and removable), along with eight side pockets for holding small supplies. Locking casters make the cart easy to roll anywhere and then keep it safely in place.
More arts & crafts organizers can be found here.
Earrings, necklaces, bracelets, brooches, rings – there are probably more categories of jewelry than any other accessory. But it’s the subcategories that make it tricky to find the best jewelry organizers for your needs. For example, chain necklaces require
special storage to keep them from getting knotted and tangled, and should be kept away from necklaces made of pearls, gems or beads since those need to be stored in a scratch-free environment.
If you have a lot of jewelry but lack space for a full-size jewelry armoire, the Hinge Mounted Mirrored Jewelry Cabinet is a compact compromise. Hidden behind a full-length mirror is a velvet-lined cabinet with multiple hooks for hanging necklaces and bracelets, along with holders for all sizes of rings and earrings, and a keepsake drawer.
If you’ve somehow managed to avoid accumulating mass quantities of jewelry, the Smart
Jewelry Case is a streamlined solution for safely storing a limited quantity of baubles. The travel-ready rubber-coated hard case features a velvet anti-tarnish liner and a two-sided design: One side has a patented soft-peg system that keeps necklaces both untangled and scratch-free; the opposite side includes secure compartments for earrings, pins and other pieces.