Ah, the classic junk drawer. Filled with items that you just know if you ever discard them, you’ll finally need them. A jumble of seemingly useless yet occasionally useful odds and ends.
An organized junk drawer may sound like an oxymoron–but think about it. How handy would it be if you could quickly find whatever you needed, instead of wasting time rummaging around and getting sidetracked by things you forgot you had?
Junk drawer organizers are available in a variety of configurations. The best ones offer some type of flexibility. Here are five effective types of junk drawer organizers:
- Double-decker. The Junk Drawer Organizer consists of two trays: a sliding top tray that’s about half the size of the bottom tray. Together they comprise 22 individual compartments of various sizes. Decals are included that can be used to designate specific sections for a variety of items such as pens and pencils, notes, scissors, stamps, and screwdrivers. The trays can also be used side by side for more drawer coverage.
- Modular. Interlocking Plastic Bins are useful for creating a completely customized drawer organizer. The bins come in various sizes and feature an interlocking lip so they can be easily joined together.
- Sliding. The Acrylic Expandable Drawer Organizer is a clear tray with multiple compartments, designed to slide on drawer sides to allow quick access to items in the drawer space below. The tray features square rails to fit on drawer side frames measuring one-half-inch thick, and expands to fit in drawer spaces measuring 11 to 18-1/2 inches wide. The clear acrylic lets you see what’s in the drawer beneath the tray.
- Adjustable. The Bamboo Adjustable Drawer Organizer includes three removable dividers that can create anywhere from six to 13 storage compartments.
- Dividers. The Expandable and Adjustable Kitchen Drawer Dividers kit components include a pair of spring-loaded dividers that fit in drawers measuring 17-1/2 inches to 21 inches long, plus three additional slide-in dividers that provide for greater custom organization.
For more types of drawer organizers that can help you get your junk drawer in order, read my earlier post on makeup drawer organizers.